Friday, March 18, 2011

Silent Auction....Can You Help ?

Do you remember this little girl? Her name is Somer Thompson and her body was found in a landfill after she was abducted on her way to school and murdered back in October of 2009.


I recently received an email from one of my blogger friends and owner of the EarthGaia Network www.earthgaia.com.

Ironically I received this email at a perfect time because I was just wondering what to do with some old collages and cards I had stashed away from years ago. So I packed a big box up and sent it to Cathy for this cause.


So if you would like to help and have lots of things you just don't know for sure what to do with, this is a good cause. I am a member of EarthGaia. It is a small network similar to Etsy, just starting out.

Here is the email. Feel free to read it and click on the links to find out more about what happened to Somer and how your donated items will sold at a silent auction with the proceeds going to the Somer Thompson foundation.

If you have any questions contact Cathy Minerva. If you need her address to send items for the silent auction please let me know. She needs these items to be sent by April 20th.

Hope you can help and thank you in memory of Somer.



My name is Cathy Minerva and I am an encaustic artist in GA. I have been honored to be asked to handle the silent auction at the 1st Annual Purple Sunshine Motorcycle Ride and Somer Concert to be held the last weekend of April, 2011.

The event proceeds will go to the Somer Thompson Foundation. www.somerthompsonfoundation.org I encourage you to check out their website.

I am pleased to announce that my artisan and handmade website, EarthGaia, will be opening a perpetual shop called Artisans & Musicians for JUSTICE with proceeds going to the foundation.

This is a very near and dear to all of our hearts project as no family should every have to bear the tragedy of what happened to Somer. I have been working with Bobby Ingram, lead guitarist for the band, Molly Hatchet for some time to make this happen. He is also the board president and faithful lobbyer for stronger laws regarding child safety laws and stricter reporting of sex offenders.

We are accepting any type of art or handmade item to be auctioned at this event. This is a family/child friendly event! If you or someone you know would like to participate, please email me at minervasmadness@gmail.com Donations need to be to me by April 20th. Artisans are encouraged to put contact info on their donation. Any items not sold at the event will be placed in the perpetual shop for sale.

All donations are tax deductible through the 501(c)3 foundation laws. If you wish a tax receipt, please include a brief note with your name, address and fair market value

Event flyers can be seen at www.bikerslove2ride4kids.com www.earthgaia.com will be posting a donation button on the front page very soon for monetary donations. No item or dollar donation is every too small to make a difference!

Let's show people how big the heart of the art community always is with our support of this very worthy cause. Thank you!
Any questions, email me. Thank you so much for your support. This is such an important cause. xoxox, Cath



3 comments:

Mollye said...

Hi Patti girl, I am so glad you visited me today. You brightened my day sister. I sent some things along Cathy's way too and bet she is being bombarded. I just love her like crazy and you too ya know. What a great cause. I'm so glad to do a little to help it along. Cathy is a dynamite leader and I think they will do fabulous. How is Alan? I will have to drop by more often!!! Take care my friend, Love Mollye

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti,
What a beautiful but sad posting.
I will see what I can find to send.
Thank you for posting this!
It is so important everyone pitches in and helps people at such a sad time in their lives..
♥ Darlene

Mya said...

What a worthwhile action you are taking. Her killer had just been let out for child molestation. Perhaps they did not have enough evidence against him. This is a story that is sadly repeated.