Tuesday, March 26, 2019

A LONG JOURNEY BACK PART 7

Bless Dr Hall, the ER doctor at Coquille Hospital. He felt that Alan was anemic due to a lack of something in his bone marrow. He said he felt it was being lost in his dialysis sessions because he was very anemic. He also thought he needed to be on a stronger antibiotic for the pneumonia.

After I had made my point to all the nurses and doctors about getting to the bottom of why Alan keeps getting the same infection and having to be transported over and over to Riverbend a miracle happened. The next morning a hospitalist by the name of  Dr.Michelle Yeomans was assigned to Alan case. She was a very empathetic and understanding women and she could tell just how upset I was and after spending time with us and  long conversation she promised us that she would stay on his case as long as it took to get to the bottom of what was going on with Alan and that she did! I swear she is an angel!

She got together with his neuphrologist and his oncologist and together they made a plan. It took nine days to figure it all out and in those nine days there were intense testing of blood work and cat scan and Xray .They did find something being depleted from is bone marrow in dialysis and now it is replaced once a week during dialysis. Remember that I was told we had to make an appointment with our pulmonologist because he wasn't assigned to Alan's team?  Well one day in walked his pulmonologist, Dr Mahadaven. I was so surprised but he took the bull by the horn and changed Alan's antibiotic and now he WAS a part of the team and I have our angel, Dr Yeomans to thank for that.

Like I said it took nine days but he finally started to feel better and his tests started showing that he was recovering. I made it clear to Dr Yeomans that I was not going to take Alan home until I was satisfied that he was ready. She assured me with the test results and showed me his Xray and indeed the pneumonia was gone and his fever was gone and his blood work looked good and his spirits were better. She felt he was ready to go home.

She prescribed a antibiotic to use twice daily in his nebulizer and an inhaler. I was shocked when I went to pick up the inhaler Rx. It was over $900.00 per month! Medicare doesn't cover that medication so I sent Dr Yeomans an email asking for her help. She actually called me from home on her day off! This is dedication. She changed the inhaler to a different brand that does the same thing and that is covered by medicare. Now what doctor these days calls a patient from home on her day off? Angel!

2 comments:

indybev said...

It sounds as if you FINALLY got someone to hear you, Patti. I'm so happy for answered prayers!

Electra said...

Wow, what a hassle and worry this much have been!