Monday, October 18, 2010

PUMPKIN FACTS


- Pumpkins are fruits. A pumpkin is a type of squash and is a member of the gourd family (Cucurbitacae), which also includes squash, cucumbers, gherkins, and melons.

- The largest pumpkin pie ever baked was in 2005 and weighed 2,020 pounds.

- Pumpkins have been grown in North America for five thousand years. They are indigenous to the western hemisphere.

- In 1584, after French explorer Jacques Cartier explored the St. Lawrence region of North America, he reported finding "gros melons." The name was translated into English as "pompions," which has since evolved into the modern "pumpkin."

- Pumpkins are low in calories, fat, and sodium and high in fiber. They are good sources of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, potassium, protein, and iron.

- The largest pumpkin ever grown was 1,689 pounds. It was grown by Joe Jutras of North Scituate, Rhode Island.

- Pumpkin seeds should be planted between the last week of May and the middle of June. They take between 90 and 120 days to grow and are picked in October when they are bright orange in color. Their seeds can be saved to grow new pumpkins the next year.

4 comments:

Sueann said...

I actually ended up with three pumpkins in my patch! I am so proud!
Hugs
SueAnn

Debbie said...

A fruit? I love pumpkin pie but my tummy doesn't. I may have to ignore the tummy. Someone baked some seeds one year and I loved those. I think it's the cinnamon in the pie that gets me.

They grow some big ones down here too. Last years winner was over 1,000 pounds :)

Mya said...

When my kids were little there was a family that had a nice farm near us. Every fall when the pumpkins were ready he would put out his "Pumpkin Patch' sign to alert everyone. The family and helpers would dress up in costumes, lead kids in games, and depending on the number of kids there you might get a ride in the wagon pulled by his tractor. They served punch and cookies, and their was a huge cauldron close to where one of the witches would sit and tell stories.
To this day, my grown up kids pass the old home and comment on the fun they had every year at the old pumpkin patch.

Lydia said...

Love the vitamin count! Thank you.