Friday, December 7, 2007

ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

In less than three hours, Japanese planes crippled the U.S. Pacific fleet.


On December 7, 1941 at 7:58 A.M., the alarm went out: "Air raid, Pearl Harbor. This is not drill!" Later that morning, the magazine of the USS Shaw exploded after being struck by a Japanese bomb.





Today is Pearl Harbor Day.
Let us never forget the soldiers that lost their lives on this day fighting to keep our wonderful country free. After mentioning Pearl Harbor to a couple of people today I was amazed that they knew nothing about it. This is scary. I bet the surviving vets of t his war are wondering if they are the only reminder left. Do your children know about Pearl Harbor and WWII? How many children don't know about it?

My Father was a Marine at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked. His best friend Richard was killed right next to him. Richard was a gunny and my Father was a spotter. My Father named my brother after his friend.

After 5 major battles during WWII my Father died of a heart attack in 1955 at the age of 34. He contacted malaria overseas and it weakened his heart. I was 7 years old.

I miss you Daddy.

6 comments:

Sue Berry said...

We've just had Remembrance Sunday over here - it's so emotional watching those brave men and women who fought for our freedom. We owe them so much and must never forget them.

I tried sending you an email but it was returned by mailer-daemon so here it is: "Hi Patti, I'd be honoured to appear on your blog - thanx for asking! I've also added the link for yours. I seem to
have strayed from making ATCs recently so I think it's time I rediscovered the joy of these tiny pieces of art. Love your blog - Chase is so adorable! I have a friend who lives in Brush Prairie, OR and hope to visit her one
day. Coos Bay is such a wonderful name for a town, I think I'll have to add it to my "must see" list!"
Best wishes, Sue

Blue Mermaid Cafe..... said...

Patti, that is so sad that you lost you Dad when you were 7. I was 12 when my real Dad died. I will be thinking of you today. Love always, Nita

Anonymous said...

I was just watching a special on Pearl Harbor. Nita had mentioned your dad on her Blue Mermaid blog, so my thoughts were with you today.
amanda

Blue Mermaid Cafe..... said...

Patti, check out my new post and leave a comment for the drawing I am having tommorow. xoxo NITA

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Patti,
I found you at Nita's Blue Mermaid blog. I read this with tears in my eyes. My Dad is also a WWII vet - not of Pearl Harbor but of the Invasion of Normandy, Battle of the Bulge and others on the European campaign. God bless these men, may we NEVER forget their bravery, love of country, and strong values.
I will be back to visit again.
Blessings and sweet remembrance
Blondie

pchickki said...

Thanks to everyone that commented on Pearl Harbor and my Father. That means alot to me.
Patti